Re: How to speed up fetching mail

* Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> [020426 18:14]:
> begin  Karsten Heymann quotation:
> >
> > fetch every day). Now how can I reduce the online time? Is there some
> > way to scan/sanitize the mail in background? Or at least fetch from the
> > accounts parallelly? I tried retchmail from unstable but it somehow
>
> Ok, first off, change your name; one Karsten is enough.  :-)

Blame my parents, it's a quite common name here in germany (although
more often written as 'Carsten') :-)

> If you want to parallelize fetchmail, make four config files, and run
> four fetchmails, each with the -f option; or just pass each all the
> parameters on the command line, although that's bad because of
> passwords.

I hoped for a simpler solution (not that yours would be really hard to
implement). Why isn't there a 'fetch parallely=yes' feature for
fetchmail? Never mind.
BTW: Is there any way to hide arguments?

> If you want fetchmail to run in the background, use the -d option to
> make it a daemon.
>
> Combine both for parallel daemons.  Don't forget to kill the daemons
> if you're using dial-on-demand, or set a long time period on -d, or
> they'll nail up your connection.

Ok I'll try it (although with getmail). I hoped for a app that does all
that for me :-). Sounds a bit like BYOF (build your own fetchmail).

Thanks,

Karsten

--
Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@gmx.de> <karsten@ecology.uni-kiel.de>