ssh and X forwarding

Not sure if this is a bug, or just something I did wrong. If it's a real
bug, I'll report it.

I upgraded an (intel-based) laptop from potato to woody and I now find
that when I log into it with ssh -X I can't get X forwarding to work. I
have edited sshd_config to set

X11Forwarding yes

The session goes like this:

otherbox$ ssh -X woodybox
woodybox$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: woodybox:10.0

Apart from that error on the screen, the xclock command causes a
message to appearin the system log, saying

kernel: neighbour table overflow
(I compiled the 2.2.20 kernel myself)

It looks as if ssh is trying to do the X forwarding and is setting
DISPLAY correctly. But something else is wrong.

One possibility is that ssh has changed how it does X forwarding recently.
otherbox is running:

OpenSSH_2.9p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f

while up-to-date woody has:

OpenSSH_3.0.2p1 Debian 1:3.0.2p1-9, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f

X forwarding in the other direction works as normal.

Any suggestions and hints gratefully received. Note that I am well aware
that you can circumvent the tunnelling of X over ssh by doing

otherbox$ xhost + woodybox
otherbox$ ssh woodybox
woodybox$ export DISPLAY=otherbox:0.0
woodybox$ xclock

but that rather defeats the point.

Many thanks

Hugh

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org============
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey             | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Institute for Meteorology        | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside UK
The University of Edinburgh      | Email hcp@met.ed.ac.uk
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland      | URL: http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~hcp
============S=u=p=p=o=r=t==g=9=5==http://g95.sourceforge.net/==============