Re: ssh and X forwarding

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 11:52, H C Pumphrey wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bug, or just something I did wrong. If it's a real
> bug, I'll report it.

Not a bug in SSH anyway... read on...

> I upgraded an (intel-based) laptop from potato to woody and I now find
> that when I log into it with ssh -X I can't get X forwarding to work. I
> have edited sshd_config to set
>
> X11Forwarding yes
>
> The session goes like this:
>
> otherbox$ ssh -X woodybox
> woodybox$ xclock
> Error: Can't open display: woodybox:10.0
>
> Apart from that error on the screen, the xclock command causes a
> message to appearin the system log, saying
>
> kernel: neighbour table overflow
> (I compiled the 2.2.20 kernel myself)

Run '/sbin/ifconfig' and see if 'lo0' is up... it probably isn't...

Try enabling your loopback interface and try again, if it still doesn't
work, send more mail (with good content and error msgs, like this one :)
)

> It looks as if ssh is trying to do the X forwarding and is setting
> DISPLAY correctly. But something else is wrong.

Bingo :)

--
Mark Janssen    Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @
SyConOS IT