Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable

on Mon, Apr 22, 2002, Alexis Georges (alexdjg@hotmail.com) wrote:
> hey

> yesterday i wrote a message in which i explained that my ethernet
> connection did not work in debian (it wont configure automatically )
> even though it has worked before when i installed int a while
> ago..today someone told me that i hsould try to do this:

>    ifconfig eth0 up

> i did that but it gave me this:

> SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable
> like i said previously, i tried installing mandrake, and it did work, it
> also works with windows..just not with debian..i have a dynamic IP as well
> so i tried using pump or dhcpcd but nothing changed
> thank you for any help

What's the card?  This is crucial information, you've omitted it, and
I've no record of your earlier post.  You're going to help yourself by
posting complete information.

The Netgear LNX100TX has a known issue with the tulip driver on a PNP
bios -- it gets an invalid IRQ assignment.  Confirm this by checking
/proc/interrupts.

The solution is to set the IRQ via BIOS, either directly (if possible)
for the PCI slot, or by disabling PNP altogether.

I ran across this very problem tonight.  Card's now happily configured
with IRQ 10.

Details:   http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-tulip/1998-Nov/0136.html

Peace.

   Lemma: Necessity is the Mother of Invention.
   Corollary: Anything necessary to make me right will be invented.
    -- Stephen J. Turnbull, on fsb