Re: Web logfile analyzer?

Hello,

I'm using webalizer. It's quite easy to configure and gives useful stats.

Hope it helps,
Daniel

On Donnerstag, April 25, 2002, at 12:47  Uhr, Quenten Griffith wrote:

I use awstats I think its in Woody, or you can go to awstats.sourceforge.net
"Michael D. Crawford" wrote:

I'd like a recommendation for a web server logfile analyzer. My web hosting
service uses apache.

I've used analog on Windows (where it's pretty hard to use) but I understand it runs on Linux too so maybe you can tell me how to do what I want with it. Analog is complex to configure and some expertise seems to be needed to get the
most meaningful results from it.

What I need to do is find the number of unique views of each of my pages that wasn't referred from within my site. By unique, if a page gets viewed twice by the same ip address or hostname, it would only show up once in my count. I want
to count only the referrals that come from somewhere else on the web.

Mostly I check my log file using, for example:

grep "GET / " access_log | wc

but that will show both the hits I get from offsite as well as the referrals
from other pages within my site.

On the other hand, it would also be helpful to see the number of referrals that do come from within my site. So if someone comes to a particular page I write to attract traffic, and then goes to the pages where I talk about my services,
that would be helpful to keep track of.

Finally, some people find my pages with the search engines. The search terms they user are often encoded in the URL of the referring page. The syntax for the URL would be different depending on the search engine. I would like to know
what the search terms are that people are finding me with.

I don't believe in spamming the search engines, but I do believe it is very worthwhile, and the right thing to do, to set out content that is useful to people in hopes of driving traffic to my site. But I have a limited amount of
time to do that and want to be more intelligent about how I do it.

Thanks in advance.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com