Re: newbie needs help w/partitioning

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 06:42:09PM -0400, wirtsgasse@aol.com wrote:
> I have a 1.5 Gbyte disk partitioned into 2 DOS drives, one 900 Mbyte
> (Windows), and the other 600 Mbyte. I want to use the 600 Mbyte for
> Linux. Using cfdisk in dbootstrap I configure two primary partitions
> in this drive, a Linux swap and a Linux native. I'd like to keep the
> Windows partition bootable, so it comes up by default, and I would
> like to boot linux from the floppy. Is this possible? Is there a
> better way?

Welcome to Debian.

Short answer: Yes.
Longer answe: Do not install KDE, GNOME, ...

Suppose you configured system as
/dev/hda1 (DOS 900MB)
/dev/hda2 (LINUX ext2 550MB)
/dev/hda5 (LINUX SWAP 50MB)

Then install "Lilo" during installation to /dev/hda2.  Then install
debian MBR program into /dev/hda (MBR).  This is safer for beginer.

Debian MBR can boot both partitions without problem.

Installing lilo to MBR is because some security freak (sorry) peope
decided this is safer which I doubts effectiveness.

Anyway, enjoy console and use your sytem as X server (i,e,. X-Terminal).
In console you can do many things.  See my web pages below :)

 Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
.
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
.
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net
.
 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.