Re: newbie needs help w/partitioning

> I have a 1.5 Gbyte disk partitioned into 2 DOS drives, one 900 Mbyte
> (Windows), and the other 600 Mbyte. I want to use the 600 Mbyte for
> Linux. Using cfdisk in dbootstrap I configure two primary partitions
> in this drive, a Linux swap and a Linux native. I'd like to keep the
> Windows partition bootable, so it comes up by default, and I would
> like to boot linux from the floppy. Is this possible? Is there a
> better way?

600 MB is pretty small by today's standards, but this is certainly
do-able. Just use a Debian install CD (or any other Linux distribution,
for that matter) and make such you have it install only the bare minimum
of software. There is no need to boot from diskette -- any bootloader,
including the standard lilo that comes with any Linux distribution, can be
configurated to allow you a choice of paritions at boot-time, and can
make any of them the default.

If this is the first time you are doing this, grab a friend who knows
Linux to help you.