Re: Sharing Mozilla profiles with W2k

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:01:38PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I run mozilla under both Linux and MS Win2000.  I would like both
> versions to use the same data (specifically, bookmarks, lists of sites
> visited, passwords--I'm not using it for mail or news).
>
> Is this advisable, or am I likely to get burned by data or format
> incompatibilities (maybe not now, but perhaps in the future) either
> between Windows and Linux or between Mozilla versions (currently 0.9.9
> on linux, 1.0rc on Windows)?

I don't see any troubles with "data format" as such. I can't imagine why
Mozilla would store its data differently under different operating
systems.

> If it is not advisable, would any of the files (e.g., bookmarks.html)
> be safe to copy around?
>
> Finally, if it is sensible to share, how do I do it?  Set
> ~/.mozilla/default to be symlink to the other directory?
> (The other directory is writable from Linux).

You can turn ~/.mozilla into a symlink to the vfat partition folder
where Mozilla on Windows stores its settings. If you are using NTFS,
this obviously won't work, but I am assuming you aren't since you say
the directory is writeable from Linux.

If you are using NTFS, create a small vfat partition. Then set it to
mount as /yourhomedirection/.mozilla to make it work in Linux, and
create a shortcut from this Windows drive to where Mozilla stores its
settings to make it work in Windows.

The only trouble I see is with your stored passwords, etc. I don't know
if Mozilla ordinarily encrypts these files, and if it does, if both
Windows and Linux versions of Mozilla use OS-specific encryption
schemes.

Lastly, always backup.

-Andy