Modems - Drivers for

SunflowerI am a Linux Newbie still trying to install Debian but learning in
the process. I am using Windows 2000 at the moment but windows XP is not an
option so I am converting to Debian.
I am about to upgrade my modem ( currently a 33.3k  hardware based ) . Can
anyone give me advice concerning two types of software ( Win ) based
modems.

1)    Modems using Lucent chipsets

2)    Modems using the Smartlink Chipsets, ( such as Skymaster )

Are there any linux Drivers for these modems and how difficult are they to
get going on Debian, or would I be better using a totally hardware based
modem.

Your advice would be appreciated.