Re: printing problems

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 09:10:30PM -0700, David Smead wrote:
| No, I didn't compile my own kernel.
|
| I started with the two floppies, and did a net install of stable.
|
| I downloaded the go-woody script and and let it rip and tried to act
| intelligent with the questions.
|
| I'm still running on the kernel from stable.  More and more that looks
| like the problem.
|
| knuth:~# uname -a
| Linux knuth 2.2.19-idepci #1 Sat Jun 9 13:39:29 EST 2001 i686 unknown

Ahh, yeah, definitely install a new kernel.  The kernels that are
built for boot-floppies are quite trimmed down due to size constraints
on the floppies.  I'd be kinda surprised if the installer supported
printing :-).

| Should I bite the bullet and compile a kernel?

Either do that (use the 'kernel-package' tools) or just install a new
kernel.  Take your pick :

    apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386

Do note that if you move to a 2.4 kernel, some things are different.
Most of the changes are not earth-shattering and some are really good
changes, but you should be aware of them before/as you upgrade.

-D

--

Misfortune pursues the sinner,
but prosperity is the reward for the righteous.