Re: "mirror"

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:56, dave mallery wrote:
> hi
>
> i have a second machine with a minimal woody install.  my main deb machine
> has been upgraded daily for a long time now.  i just copied the contents
> of is /var/cache/apt/archive (loads) to the minimal machine.
>
> how do i get the minimal machine to recognize that all that stuff is now
> there so it can go ahead and install?  apt-get update does not do it.
>
> thank you
>
> dave

You can just copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archive the
/var/cache/apt/archive of the minimal machine and then run apt-get upgrade to
upgrade all the packages that you have installed on your minimal machine. If
there are any packages required for your minimal machine that you haven't
copied across apt will seek to download them from the server you have pointed
to in your sources list. I use this method to upgrade or install stuff on my
laptop from my main desktop machine. I have had a look at apt-proxy and will
also have a look apt-move, as suggested by Greg Madden, as they both seem
like they would make things easier once you had figured out how to set them
up. It would certainly save the buildup of different versions of the same deb
packages in the archive directory.

John