Re: Building kernel-image with kpkg

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, David Z Maze wrote:

> Ramesh Panuganty <Ramesh.Panuganty@compaq.com> writes:
> > Yeah, you need the link from /usr/src/linux ->
> > /usr/src/<kernel_ver_sources> to ease while applying kernel patches
> > etc...
>
> I've never found that necessary (though I also tend not to apply
> patches to my kernel source).  A well-formed patch should apply
> cleanly to a source tree rooted anywhere.
>
> > You may also thinking of creating this link
> >
> > mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/linux.org (this would be a
> > directory) /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux

What's more there is NO requirement that you unpack the kernel source
in /usr/src. It can be in your home directory for that matter. The only
thing that required root is the installation of the final deb package.
Also you will need fakeroot for the build process. Check the README
for make-kpkg.

-walter