Problems with KDE3 on Slink

Actually it's not slink, it's Corel Linux 1.2
I installed it a couple months ago & have grown very fond of its speed
and simplicity. Have had hours of fun installing & upgrading to the
latest versions of many things, while keeping kde-corel. Believe me,
apt-get constantly wants to remove kde-corel.

Anyway, here's what I compiled & installed:
arts-1.0.0
kdebase-3.0
kdegraphics-3.0
kdelibs-3.0
kdevelop-2.1_for_KDE_3.0
qt-3.0.3

Everything works quite well, except for a couple minor problems having
to do with graphics, so I suspect they are related. Ha! What a kick, to
see Konqueror side by side with KDE-1 "CorelExplorer", etc.!

So here's the problems:
- Konqueror is wickedly fast at generating previews, faster than
  anything I've seen, but it won't make thumbnails of jpg's. Only png,
  xpm, gif, & others.
- The KDE3 kdm login can't make a background; not in plain color, nor
  using a graphic.
- The KDE3 desktop can make a background in color, either solid or
  gradient, but won't set an image as wallpaper, nor will this module in
  kcontrol produce a preview of the image.
- kview can't open jpg's, and kuickshow segfaults on jpg's. They both
  have no problem with gif, png, xpm, or bmp. I have version 6b-1.2 of
  libjpeg62 and libjpeg62-dev and also libjpegg6a 6a-12

That's about it. Pretty minor, but I have to wonder if they can be
fixed. Could the cause of all these possibly be that I don't have xlibs?
Should I maybe try to build & install xlibs from source? I am afraid
that installing xlibs may be a very hazardous thing which might break
many other things on this old, mostly slink-based system.

--

-CraigW

"You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has
to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"
	-Willy Wonka