Re: how to get debconf or whoever to leave my ntp.conf alone

* Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) spake thusly:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 08:17:09PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> It is already considered a serious bug for a package to overwrite a
> configuration file without asking when the sysadmin has changed it, so
> you can stop ranting about Debian as a whole and go file bugs when
> individual maintainers get it wrong.

You know, if my bath keeps overflowing, I can wipe away every
individual droplet of water every time it happens, or I can
install an overflow pipe. It seems to me that you keep
insisting on the former. I have to conclude that you are not
a competent engineer.

> > OTOH, every package's postinst script could, for example, begin with
> > if [ "$1" == "configure" ]; then
> >   if [ -e /var/lib/dpkg/info/$package.DO_NOT_TOUCH ]; then
> >     exit 0
> >   fi
>
> No need. It's easy to tell when a configuration file has been changed by
> the sysadmin, and maintainers are supposed to use that.

*Boggle* Which part of "USER SHOULD BE ABLE TO MARK PARTS OF
HIS SYSTEM AS ``MAINTAINERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FUCK WITH THIS
NO MATTER WHAT''" do you still not understand?

Dima
--
Well, lusers are technically human.                            -- Red Drag Diva