Re: Modems - Drivers for

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:23:35AM +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:
> I am about to upgrade my modem ( currently a 33.3k  hardware based ) . Can
> anyone give me advice concerning two types of software ( Win ) based
> modems.
>
> 1)    Modems using Lucent chipsets

Are probably the best supported software modems under Linux. It's
generally quite easy to get these working, though make sure you get
the Apollo or Mars Lucent chipsets - Lucent AMR modems don't work.
<http://www.heby.de/ltmodem>

> 2)    Modems using the Smartlink Chipsets, ( such as Skymaster )

Have some support but it is pretty limited. You're better off with
Lucent, given the choice.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ for general info.