Intel 82820 Camino 2 Audio not working

Hi people,

I have a Compaq box with the above audio controller... I have recompiled
my kernel with sound modules enabled...but I can't get the sound to
work.

I next compiled Alsa 0.9 beta12 and the module insertion was ok...not
errors were noted...but when I fire up xmms and play some mp3...it plays
but I get no sound coming from the desktop speakers??

So I apt-get the alsa-utils and alsaconf via woody (BTW I am running
woody) and ran alsaconf. Upon selecting the Intel 8xx sound module, I
/etc/init.d/alsa start... and I get the following message:

Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0beta12): no sound cards defined

Can someone help?

Thx.

Patrick