Re: compilation problems

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 10:23:28PM -0400, Vivek Bharathan wrote:
> Hello, I recently reformatted my hard drive and upgraded from potato to
> woody. Previously, under potato, when I upgraded and recompiled my
> kernel, I simply set the config file, typed make dep, and make install
> and configured lilo and everything worked fine after that.
>
> Under Woody, however, I did the following:
> make menuconfig, entered my choices
> make clean
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> then I configured lilo
  you probably have some files bad-linked under /boot and /
  by default the commands you've given install linux under / dir
  besides debian has a vmlinuz-X.X.XX in /boot linked to / control if
  all these links are set well, even if imho it's better to have all
  kernel files installed under /boot, do do this you firstly have to
  uncomment INSTALL_PATH=/boot in the kernel-source Makefile, edit
  your /etc/lilo.conf change location of vmlinuz from /vmlinuz to
  /boot/vmlinuz, rename an eventual /boot/System.map-x.x.xx and
  /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xx respectively to System.old and vmlinuz.old.
  Then make the same operation you did (use in this case "make bzlilo"
  instead of "make bzImage" so you'll get vmlinuz copied in /boot).

  if you don't like this handmaking method you also can apt-get
  install kernel-package and the man make-kpkg and it'll build your
  own kernel-image deb :)

 enjoy.

Luca Pasquali

  GNU\Debian User

"I've to patch my brain and my heart, I've been hacked by the
wings of love, lonelyness is for fools, society for suckers,
the mountains are useful to rise up a little bit more to the sky"

contact me at:

keta@ptlug.org
keta@email.it