compilation problems

Hello, I recently reformatted my hard drive and upgraded from potato to
woody. Previously, under potato, when I upgraded and recompiled my
kernel, I simply set the config file, typed make dep, and make install
and configured lilo and everything worked fine after that.

Under Woody, however, I did the following:
make menuconfig, entered my choices
make clean
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
then I configured lilo

When I reboot with the new kernel, the network cannot be accessed. I
double-checked the configuration with the old kernel and have all of the
net device settings the same. I don't think this is the problem. When I
reboot using the old kernel I can get a connection. I have my network
card (3c59x) set to run as a module. I suspect that the modules are not
being read correctly...

Help please?
Thank you,
Vivek