Re: Raid 5 and recoving from a crash

on Mon, Apr 22, 2002, hanasaki (hanasaki@hanaden.com) wrote:
> I guess my main two goals are:
> 	- 100% hardware ide raid

Many solutions available.

> 	- Ability to go to a new card and not need to do a tape restore

While appreciated there are several options:

  - Some hardware does support array swapping.  I've upgraded between
    major versions of 3Ware, but only after checking with tech support.

  - Backups are not optional.  If you're restructuring your storage,
    best practices requires you have a current, verified, backup image
    on hand.

  - There are several backup alternatives.  Tape is one.  Networked
    archive, or local archive, are others.  In our case, we keep both
    network backups, and aquired a 120 GiB drive for the express
    purposes of (1) providing alternate storage while a RAID array was
    tested and rebuilt, and (2) providing backup from which the array
    could be restored.  Cost of storage was ~350, cheap insurance given
    the value of the data (4x80 GiB array, RAID5, ~50% utilized).

If you're planning on making an array transition without backups, I
strongly discourage this.  There are too many things that can go wrong,
and you have no safety net.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/