Funny things during upgrade: postgresql and python

Hi,

I had a few dependancies problem when upgrading from postgresql 2.1.4 (I
think) to 2.2.1: postgresql-clients 2.2.1 conflicts with postgresql 2.1.4,
and apt-get decided to remove the old postgresql, instead of upgrading it
along with the other packages, which would have eliminated all the
conflicts. Is it really the expected behaviour ?

Anyway, I let apt-get remove postgresql, and reinstalled the new version
manually afterwards:

>schutz@laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install postgresql
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following extra packages will be installed:
>  python python2.1
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  lyx python-base
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  postgresql python python2.1
>0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>Need to get 0B/3166kB of archives. After unpacking 8664kB will be freed.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

The strange part here is the fact that lyx has to be removed. I had a look
at the packages dependancies, and I guess that what happens is:

  - since postgresql depends on python, python will be installed
    (and python2.1 at the same time)
  - since python conflicts with python-base, python-base will be removed.
  - but python-base provides "python", and lyx depends on python, so
    lyx has to be removed !

So it looks like apt-get doesn't notice that a real package called python
is going to be installed, and that there is no need for removing lyx. Is it
the way it works ? It is really what is expected or is it a bug ?

Following these messages, I finally continued the installation and
reinstalled lyx later, without any problem.

Thanks in advance for any information !

Frédéric