Re: MCA/PCI failure

On Sunday 21 April 2002 02:48 am, ben wrote:
> On Sunday 21 April 2002 02:27 am, Ina & Frank wrote:
> > Dear reader.
> >
> > Sorry I forgot the subject at first.
> >
> > I have several IBM PC's: MCA based OR PCI based PC's, working fine with
> > debian 2.2r2. A new one gave me this problem.
> >
> > The PC is a IBM 520 8641MDG. (Pentium 133MHz). The motherboard has 8 MCA
> > slots AND 2 PCI slots. The PC is working fine with DOS and Windows NT
> > (sorry I said that).
> >
> > I tried to install Debian 2.2r2 and 2.2r6 but the install fails on one
> > point. dmesg keeps reporting that it failed to probe the PCI-bus.
> >
> > this is a part of the log:
> > 	POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> > 	PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd82c
> > 	PCI: Using configuration type 1
> > 	PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> > 	PCI: Unable to handle I/O allocation for 00:40 (0200), tell <mj@ucw.cz>
> > 	Micro Channel bus detected.
> > 	Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
> >
> > I told mj@ucw.cz but no reply yet.
> >
> > MCA slots (and adapters) are working fine.
> > But since the RAID-controller and the ethetnetcard use these two PCI
> > slots.....
> >
> > It doesn't matter if use MCA slots or not.
> >
> > Anybody who has a clue to address these PCI-slots/bus.
> >
> > Thanx in advance.
> >
> > Frank
> >
> > BTW. Does anyone know where to get enthernet MCA-cards?
>
> it kinda sounds like the card in some particular mca slot isn't doing what
> it should--in terms of: one of the mca cards totally hogs the slot but some
> part of the card circuitry is shot; and because it's not returning the
> information it alleges to provide, its irq is left open but inaccessible.
> since pci cards are intended to switch and share irq's, pull all the mca
> cards and reinsert them selectively in order to determine which
> one--whether card or slot--is preventing your pci cards from doing their
> job.

i just re-read your post and i wonder how fine the box works under the win
products. it's really not vanilla when m$ (or sado-masochism, if you will) is
involved. is this a dual/multi-boot setup or are you getting to linux through
one or the other of the beast installations? and when you say "a new one,"
what does this mean?

ben