Re: MCA/PCI failure

On Sunday 21 April 2002 02:27 am, Ina & Frank wrote:
> Dear reader.
>
> Sorry I forgot the subject at first.
>
> I have several IBM PC's: MCA based OR PCI based PC's, working fine with
> debian 2.2r2. A new one gave me this problem.
>
> The PC is a IBM 520 8641MDG. (Pentium 133MHz). The motherboard has 8 MCA
> slots AND 2 PCI slots. The PC is working fine with DOS and Windows NT
> (sorry I said that).
>
> I tried to install Debian 2.2r2 and 2.2r6 but the install fails on one
> point. dmesg keeps reporting that it failed to probe the PCI-bus.
>
> this is a part of the log:
> 	POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> 	PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd82c
> 	PCI: Using configuration type 1
> 	PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> 	PCI: Unable to handle I/O allocation for 00:40 (0200), tell <mj@ucw.cz>
> 	Micro Channel bus detected.
> 	Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
>
> I told mj@ucw.cz but no reply yet.
>
> MCA slots (and adapters) are working fine.
> But since the RAID-controller and the ethetnetcard use these two PCI
> slots.....
>
> It doesn't matter if use MCA slots or not.
>
> Anybody who has a clue to address these PCI-slots/bus.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Frank
>
> BTW. Does anyone know where to get enthernet MCA-cards?

it kinda sounds like the card in some particular mca slot isn't doing what it
should--in terms of: one of the mca cards totally hogs the slot but some part
of the card circuitry is shot; and because it's not returning the information
it alleges to provide, its irq is left open but inaccessible. since pci cards
are intended to switch and share irq's, pull all the mca cards and reinsert
them selectively in order to determine which one--whether card or slot--is
preventing your pci cards from doing their job.

ben