Re: Broken Perl module

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 03:05, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 09:42:13PM +0200, Tim van den Elsen wrote:
> > A few days ago i wanted to update the newest packages. I always use
> > 'dselect'. When dselect tried to update and install a certain package
> > (it had something do to with perl, can't remember exact name) it gave an
> > error. It was late that day so i went to bed :D
> [...]
> > 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
> > 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> > Need to get 0B/2800kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> > debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (syntax error at
> > /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/FileHandle.pm line 10, near "@ISA ="
>
> Could you post the output of 'dpkg -l perl\*'? If any of them are in bad
> states (normally indicated by one of the first two letters of a line
> being in uppercase) then configuring it with 'dpkg --configure' or
> reinstalling it may help.
>
> Also, make sure you don't have a strange version of perl somewhere else
> on the $PATH while running dselect.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]
>

> --

Since i am not such an expert in Debian.. here is the output of
'dpkg -l perl\*':

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii  perl                5.6.1-7             Larry Wall's Practical
Extraction and Report Language.
pn  perl-5.004          <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.004-base     <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.004-debug    <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.004-doc      <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.004-suid     <none>              (no description available)
ii  perl-5.005          6.3                 Transitional package.
ii  perl-5.005-base     6.3                 Transitional package.
pn  perl-5.005-debug    <none>              (no description available)
ii  perl-5.005-doc      6.3                 Transitional package.
ii  perl-5.005-suid     6.3                 Transitional package.
pn  perl-5.005-thread   <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.6            <none>              (no description available)
ii  perl-5.6-base       6.3                 Transitional package.
pn  perl-5.6-debug      <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.6-doc        <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-5.6-suid       <none>              (no description available)
ii  perl-base           5.6.1-7             The Pathologically Eclectic
Rubbish Lister.
pn  perl-byacc          <none>              (no description available)
un  perl-curses         <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl-debug          <none>              (no description available)
ii  perl-doc            5.6.1-7             Perl documentation.
ii  perl-modules        5.6.1-7             Core Perl modules.
ii  perl-suid           5.6.1-7             Runs setuid Perl scripts.
pn  perl-tk             <none>              (no description available)
pn  perl2html           <none>              (no description available)
un  perl5               <none>              (no description available)
un  perl5-base          <none>              (no description available)
un  perl5-thread        <none>              (no description available)
un  perlapi-5.005       <none>              (no description available)
un  perlapi-5.6.0       <none>              (no description available)
un  perlapi-5.6.1       <none>              (no description available)
pn  perlmagick          <none>              (no description available)
pn  perlmenu            <none>              (no description available)
pn  perlsgml            <none>              (no description available)
pn  perltidy            <none>              (no description available)
server:~#

I see two different versions.. I don't know if that is the problem? If
it is how can i safely uninstall the older version?

Thanks in advance,

Tim