Re: Finding unused packages

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:46:30AM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:

> snip
> >
> >There have been several programs written to track down unused packages.
> >The one I know of off-hand is 'deborphan'.  I'm not sure if it's the
> >standard or if there's a better one out there, though.
>
> deborphan looks for files that have no other files depending on them.
> As the op said, this is not what he is looking for.  This non-hacker is
> thinking that a script that steps through the various /bin directories,
> checking and sorting the last access for each file would be what Marijs
> is looking for.

Ahem. That's not my name, and I wasn't looking for anything ;-). I'm not the
op.

> For example,
>
> 	find -atime +30 -maxdepth 1
>
> yields any file in the current directory that hasn't been accessed in
> the last 30 days.  I would think the next step would be to see which
> package those long unused binaries belong to.  This I leave as an
> exercise for the class :^)

Solution:

    apt-get install popularity-contest

;-).

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands