Re: Unable to mount cd-rom

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 08:43:23PM +0200, Martin Zipfel wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:47:48 +1000
> Sam Varghese <sam@gnubies.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently moved my Debian install over to a new hard disk and after
> > this I find that I cannot mount my cd-rom.
> >
> i think this is due to your cd-burner,
> you should handle your cdrom also like scsi, somethimg like this in
> /etc/fstab:

It was a problem with DMA. Someone from my local LUG suggested booting
with ide=nodma as a boot parameter and I found that the cd-rom would
work without a problem.

What I finally did:

Made a one-line executable in /etc/init.d:

/sbin/hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc

Added a symlink for that to /etc/rcS.d/

The hard drive I'm using can handle DMA, of that I'm sure, so I thought
it would be better to keep it as such as it is so much faster.

I came across a very nice reference during my search for info:

http://www.exocore.com/technologies/linux/rhl71dma/

Sam
--
Sam Varghese