Unable to mount cd-rom

I recently moved my Debian install over to a new hard disk and after
this I find that I cannot mount my cd-rom.

My /etc/fstab reads as under:

/dev/hda2     /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw                      0    0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults 0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    defaults,user,noauto 0       0
/dev/cdrom        /cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0
0
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext2 rw                 0       2
/dev/sr0        /cdburner       iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0

Other relevant info:

sammo:~# ls -la /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Apr  9 18:58 /dev/cdrom ->
hdc

sammo:~# ls -la /dev/hdc
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Jul  6  2000 /dev/hdc

I can play an audio cd using the cd-rom in question.

When I try to mount a cd, the whole machine freezes up. I have to
reset and then fsck the root partition before I can use it.

Just to test out the cd-rom itself, I installed Mandrake on another
partition and checked that there is nothing wrong with it.

I tried deleting and recreating the device file but that did not make
any difference.

Any hints to get out of this would be appreciated.

Sam
--
Sam Varghese
http://www.gnubies.com