Detatch and re-attatch shell/process?

Is there a way in Linux (or UNIX and its cousins in general) to run a process (like a long, gnarled process that can take several hours/days), and detatch it from a shell such that it runs in the background (with stdin/out going to a file)?

And to be somewhat more specific - how do you do it so you can re-attatch to the process later?

Specifics:
I would like to be able to:

* Start a HDL synthesis running in the background of a computer.
* Log out of the computer entirely, leaving that process (and subprocesses) running. * Log back in later (hours, days) and either re-enter the program just as I left it, or view all the log files.

This is a problem for many of us working at my university's Sunlab (We call it such because they have Sun workstations). Those of us who have to run these HDL synthesis processes (although there are other simulation apps that need this ability as well) would like to be able to start our process, logout, and leave. This way, the actual workstation is still accessible to anybody else who needs it, will be able to use it. Sure, programs may run a bit (OK, a *lot*) slower - but that is a vast improvement over a lab full of 'locked' machines; espescially since not everybody even needs to use the machines for CPU/memory-intensive operations.

I'm thinking this may be possible (somewhat) using 'nohup'

But is there anything else that allows this?