Re: Gnus&&XEmacs

    "Christian" == Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch> writes:

    Christian> At 21:49 Uhr -0500 17.04.2002, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
    >> ;;; -*- Mode: Emacs-Lisp -*-

    Christian> I've tried this file (with my name in place of yours
    Christian> and localhost as news server). Since I'm getting mail
    Christian> delivered to /var/mail/chris (what's the format of mail
    Christian> delivered to ~/Mail/spool and how?), I've also tried my
    Christian> old mail file line. It still doesn't get any mail. Do I
    Christian> have to do anything special inside xemacs to get mail
    Christian> delivered? Do I have to create some groups? M-d gives a
    Christian> listing of two rows:

Well, I should have explained. I have gnus keep my nnfolder files in
the ~/Mail directory. I use procmail to put email from mailing lists
into files in ~/Mail/spool (one file per mailing list). So,
~/Mail/spool is a directory, not a file.

       *: nnfolder+mail:       Has read
       *:                      Has read

    Christian> Pressing enter on the first line gives 'Dead non-native
    Christian> groups can't be entered'. Pressing enter on the second
    Christian> gives 'Couldn't activate group: 411 no such news
    Christian> group'.

I've forgotten most of this stuff, but here are two things you can
try. First, you need to subscribe to the groups as far as I can
remember (use the U key in the groups buffer above). The other is the
command nnfolder-generate-active-file which often seems to do
something useful.

    Christian> With M-f I've got to the point that I now seem to have
    Christian> a nnfolder+mail:mail.misc line, but now it displays
    Christian> 'Wrong type argument: stringp, nil' in the status line.

    Christian> Is XEmacs21-gnome ready for prime time?

It didn't work for me when I installed it. I run the non-gnome
version.

Sorry I'm not able to help more than that. Gnus is a very good mail
reader once you get it working though, don't quite just yet ;-)

/Shyamal