Re: netscape bus error

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:05:24PM +1000, John Habermann wrote:
| Hi
|
| Do support for a community group that recycles computers installs debian and
| gives them to low income people. One of the recipients is issues with
| Netscape. Netscape (4.77-2) doesn't open at all and when netscape is entered

Use something else.  Netscape 4 is really old, and binary-only dists
aren't the best either.

| into an xterm he receives only a line saying "Bus error".
| Anyone have any ideas,

Netscape tried to access memory that doesn't exist, or is outside of
its address space.  It's rather easy to make a C/C++ program do that.

| I haven't come across this before. He is one of our early recipients
| and has just bought a new computer 1.4 ghz athlon 256 ddr memory and
| has got debian unstable with kde as the desktop environment, bit
| different to potato with gnome as our desktop which is what he
| started with.

Try Mozilla or Galeon instead or even Konqueror.

FYI  The netscape (4) on the solaris/sparc systems at school always
give a Bus Error when you exit correctly via the menu.  Just a fact of
life (and not fatal there).

-D

--

The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.