Re: netscape bus error

on Thu, Apr 18, 2002, dman (dman@dman.ddts.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:05:24PM +1000, John Habermann wrote:
> | Hi
> |
> | Do support for a community group that recycles computers installs debian and
> | gives them to low income people. One of the recipients is issues with
> | Netscape. Netscape (4.77-2) doesn't open at all and when netscape is entered
>
> Use something else.  Netscape 4 is really old, and binary-only dists
> aren't the best either.

I'll second this.  Strongly.

> | I haven't come across this before. He is one of our early recipients
> | and has just bought a new computer 1.4 ghz athlon 256 ddr memory and
> | has got debian unstable with kde as the desktop environment, bit
> | different to potato with gnome as our desktop which is what he
> | started with.
>
> Try Mozilla or Galeon instead or even Konqueror.

On a 1.4 GHz system, any of the above will be more than plenty.

For systems at or below about 233 MHz, I'd strongly recommend a
lighter-weight client.  I find text-mode browsers work well -- w3m and
lynx.  For graphical clients, BrowseX (not packaged for Debian, but
available as a single binary) is pretty slick and runs very well on
systems down to 486s (which **really** ought to be retired by now).

Peace.

   But GNU/Linux _does_ tell you how to live your life:  cat .liferc