Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long)

On 17 Apr 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Apr 16, 2002, Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> > I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a few pointers on how to
> > track down a strange system lockup.
> >
> > When the lockup occurs, both monitors drop to power saving mode and
> > the system from what I can tell is dead to the world (no network
> > connectivity and completely unresponsive to local access), and both
> > IDE CD drives show momentary access.  The system does still have power
> > as the CD drives respond appropriately to their eject buttons.
> >
> > The system itself is a Dell Precision Workstation 220 with the
> > following hardware:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Any ideas on how to pin a problem like this down?  Possibly how to
> > track what the last few actions a system made before dropping out?
>
> You've got a tough situation:
>
>   - Random lockups.
>   - Infrequent lockups.
>   - No system state (logs) indicating reasons for lockups.
>
> I tend to divide these problems into two general areas:
>
>   - Hardware failure.
>   - Software failure.

[snip]

This may be unconnected, but for many weeks I had a very similar
problem: random lockups, always when on line, with the hdd light on but
nothing happening. Eventually I found that it was caused by
inadvertently compiling support for multiple processors into the kernel
(2.4. series).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books on the Assassins and on homeopathy, skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]