Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 08:45, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:36, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 06:47, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > I don't know which sub-version of the GeForce cards I'm using, I just got
> > > whatever was cheapest at the time (you'd have to be crazy to buy a
> > > high-end NVidia card - they release new models every 6 months and the old
> > > models then sell for less than half price).
> >
> > Wow.  Good point.  I feel retarded now.  (Sean's wallet is hurting after
> > he replaced one of his old video cards which melted with a Geforce3 Ti
> > 500 at x-mas.)
>
> That's another thing.  If you buy an older model card in a tiny box with no
> manuals etc for $150 and it melts you're not going to be nearly as unhappy as
> if the same thing happens to a high-end $700 card that came with all manuals
> etc.

^,^  I found out my motherboard was causing the problems, and managed to
melt my new GeForce3, as well; but VisionTek has a lifetime warranty on
their cards, so all was good.

> My observation is that if you buy a new cheap card every year you'll spend
> less money than if you buy a new expensive card every second year, and on
> average you'll have better hardware as a new cheap card is usually better
> than a 1 year old expensive card.

You have another point.  Of course, this is all likely lost effort on
me, because I'm also the person that wasted money I didn't have on the
fastest motherboard, processor, and DDR memory I could find when I found
out my old gamestation motherboard needed replacing...

> > When I plopped in the nVidia binary drivers, tho, I sure know it looked
> > great.  ^,^  Zangband has never looked so crisp...
>
> Zangband?

Ya... um, like Nethack, but much much better, imo.  If you're not
familar with Nethack, then I think the joke will be entirely lost.  ^,^

> Speaking of the binary drivers, that logo and delay on X startup annoys me.
> I'd like to get a patch that removes it (yes I know that means a binary
> patch), if I can find such a patch (or be bothered writing one) then I'll
> release some unofficial debs that do it.  ;)

You can disable it.  There is an option to set in the Xconfig file.
Somewhere, I forget exactly where, had the documentation on all the
options.  Actually, I think X might have auto-generated that for me from
the driver... (X rules).