Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long)

on Wed, Apr 17, 2002, Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk) wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Apr 16, 2002, Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> > > I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a few pointers on how to
> > > track down a strange system lockup.

<snip>

> > I tend to divide these problems into two general areas:
> >
> >   - Hardware failure.
> >   - Software failure.
> >
> [snip]
>
> This may be unconnected, but for many weeks I had a very similar
> problem: random lockups, always when on line, with the hdd light on but
> nothing happening. Eventually I found that it was caused by
> inadvertently compiling support for multiple processors into the kernel
> (2.4. series).

Which raises another diagnostic route -- try another kernel.  I'd
recommend a stock one, these generally seem more bulletproof.  Though if
you're already using one, a simple, hand-compiled kernel might also be
used.  Again, the idea being to minimize what's loaded on the system.

Peace.

   The golden rule of technical design:  complexity is the enemy.