Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:36, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 06:47, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I don't know which sub-version of the GeForce cards I'm using, I just got
> > whatever was cheapest at the time (you'd have to be crazy to buy a
> > high-end NVidia card - they release new models every 6 months and the old
> > models then sell for less than half price).
>
> Wow.  Good point.  I feel retarded now.  (Sean's wallet is hurting after
> he replaced one of his old video cards which melted with a Geforce3 Ti
> 500 at x-mas.)

That's another thing.  If you buy an older model card in a tiny box with no
manuals etc for $150 and it melts you're not going to be nearly as unhappy as
if the same thing happens to a high-end $700 card that came with all manuals
etc.

My observation is that if you buy a new cheap card every year you'll spend
less money than if you buy a new expensive card every second year, and on
average you'll have better hardware as a new cheap card is usually better
than a 1 year old expensive card.

> When I plopped in the nVidia binary drivers, tho, I sure know it looked
> great.  ^,^  Zangband has never looked so crisp...

Zangband?

Speaking of the binary drivers, that logo and delay on X startup annoys me.
I'd like to get a patch that removes it (yes I know that means a binary
patch), if I can find such a patch (or be bothered writing one) then I'll
release some unofficial debs that do it.  ;)

BTW  I changed this from debian-devel to debian-user as it has nothing to do
with development.