Re: Samba alternative

begin  Alex Malinovich quotation:

> I've heard that SMB isn't really the greatest protocol for file sharing
> between systems on a LAN. I've also heard good things about Coda and a
> few strong-points about NFS. What would you all suggest? Sticking with
> Samba is easy enough as it's already configured, but if it's not the
> best thing that I could be using, I'd rather switch to the best. TIA.

SMB is the best protocol for serving Windows clients, simply because
it's the best-supported one in Windows.  All Windows NFS clients suck.

SMB isn't what you want to use for serving Linux or UNIX clients, but it
can peacefully coexist with Samba.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | McMahon's Laws of Linux support:
http://www.eiv.com               | 1) There's more than one way to do it