Re: sneakernet apt

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 08:38, Satelle, StevenX wrote:
> I'm running 2 separate machines which have no connection between each other.
> One (mach-1) has an always on high speed web connection. The other (mach-2)
> doesn't. Both running Debian-2.2r5. installed from CD. I want to download
> updates on mach-1 and get a copy of /var/cache/apt onto mach-2 (via a win2k
> laptop) . I've being doing this but the only way to install stuff is via
> dpkg -i. Very slow especially when doing updates such as installing ximian.
> I've looked at things like apt-move but that doesn't seem to do what I want.
> I would like to be able to turn /var/cache/apt into a proper deb source -
> /Debian/dists/main with an auto generated packages.gz
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible?
>
> Steven Satelle
> Tac
> i60-64372

You probably are looking for dpkg-scanpackages.

touch /Debian/dists/main/file (only needs to be done once)

dpkg-scanpackages /Debian/dists/main /Debian/dists/main/file | gzip > \
	/Debian/dists/main/Packages.gz
(obviously needs to be done for every time you update the package
repository with more packages)

echo "deb file:/Debian/dists main/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list  (also only
needs to be done once)

Thanks go out to Joey Hess for having his own local deb repository
somewhere on debian.org and thus inspiring me to figure out how to do
all this.

--
Daniel DiPaolo <ddipaolo@trinity.edu>
GnuPG key ID: 0xB2F23FC2