Re: sneakernet apt

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 14:38, Satelle, StevenX wrote:
> I'm running 2 separate machines which have no connection between each other.
> One (mach-1) has an always on high speed web connection. The other (mach-2)
> doesn't. Both running Debian-2.2r5. installed from CD. I want to download
> updates on mach-1 and get a copy of /var/cache/apt onto mach-2 (via a win2k
> laptop) . I've being doing this but the only way to install stuff is via
> dpkg -i. Very slow especially when doing updates such as installing ximian.
> I've looked at things like apt-move but that doesn't seem to do what I want.
> I would like to be able to turn /var/cache/apt into a proper deb source -
> /Debian/dists/main with an auto generated packages.gz

The easiest way (and what I do sometimes) is to simply copy the contents
of /var/cache/apt/archives from one machine to the other.  When the
second machine runs apt-get upgrade, it uses the files from the cache.

Apt-move would do the job if you (rightly) consider .../archives as a
temporary store.  When the updates are known to work, run "apt-move
update" and your local mirror of updates and additions gets added too.
Very handy to burn onto CD now and again for upgrading later.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                       jabber: rossburton@jabber.org