Re: Using apt To Kill MSFT

On Monday 15 April 2002 08:01 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
> Yes, such tools exist separately ... and can all be downloaded individually
> and configured individually.  I seek the creation of a defined set of
> applications with the appropriate options preset so as to render any Debian
> box the equivalent of a Windows machine with Office 2000.

Why?  What did Debian ever do to you to deserve such cruelty?  (sorry --
couldn't resist)

Seriously, though -- Linux != Windows.  Trying to turn one into a clone of
the other is doing either one a great disservice.

Additionally, the tools *don't* exist today to provide the same functionality
of Office 2000.  MS Access and MS Outlook (incl. native Exchange connections)
are two tools on Windows that do not have peers on Linux.  (There are tools
similar to Access, but none that can open, manipulate and save in the Access
.mdb format)  Additionally, tools that open, manipulate and save in Word or
Excel format are rudimentary at best.  They'll handle basic files, but throw
anything difficult at them and they fall apart.

One thing that I had to learn when switching from Windows 2000 to Linux is
that they're very different beasts.  Linux does not try to be like
Mike(rosoft) and I'm not sure we should force it to be.

--kurt