Re: Samba Won't Take Passwords

"Brian W. Carver" <bwcarver@earthlink.net> wrote:

> But now, there are two Windows 98 computers attached to [a Samba
> network] [..]  When I
> try to access it I get a pop-up box labeled Enter Network Password that
> says "You must supply a password to make this connection: Resource:
> \\DEBIAN\IPC$ Password: [I can enter stuff here]" [..] [When I give a password] then
> another pop-up box comes up saying, "The password is incorrect. Try again."

Windows 98 computers perform default password encryption. Thus, you
either have to implement password encryption in Samba, or you have to
disable password encryption in the Windows systems. The former is
described in the docs of Samba. The latter can be done as follows (in
the Windows 98 computer):

1) Start -> Run
2) Type regedit
3) Add the DWORD value to the Registry entry EnablePlainTextPassword
   (reg Dword) 1 in the following Registry location:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSETUP

Notes: 1: Case is important in the previous line;
       2: I have stolen this text from the Internet, but don't
          remember from which location.

Paul Huygen