Samba Won't Take Passwords

Hi,

For those following the saga, I can now print from linux on the attached HP Laserjet 5L. I downloaded the latest source code for CUPS, followed the clear instructions included for compiling and installing it, and then went to http://localhost:631 and added the printer and whalla! I can now print from OpenOffice, which was my main goal.

But now, there are two Windows 98 computers attached to this mostly potato, a little woody box, and I am running smbd, and nmbd. When I go to "Network Neighborhood" on a Win98 computer I can see the group: Workgroup, and I can see the linux box named Debian in there. When I try to access it I get a pop-up box labeled Enter Network Password that says "You must supply a password to make this connection: Resource: \\DEBIAN\IPC$ Password: [I can enter stuff here]" and there is a check box to allow me to "Save this password in your password list" By going to http://localhost:901 on the debian machine I have set up users and passwords for each of the attached computers. For instance, one Win98 machine I named "brian" and I have a linux user "brian" and within Samba I gave "brian" the same password but if you go to the "brian" machine and enter that password (or any other password I've ever used) then another pop-up box comes up saying, "The password is incorrect. Try again."

So, I somehow do not understand Samba passwords or what password I should enter on the client machines to gain access to the linux box. All I want is for those computers to be able to print on the printer attached to the linux box. Thanks for any help.

--
Brian