Re: Samba Won't Take Passwords

At 1018887273s since epoch (04/15/02 14:14:33 -0400 UTC), Brian W. Carver wrote:
> But now, there are two Windows 98 computers attached ...
> I gave "brian" the same password but if you go to the "brian" machine
> and enter that password (or any other password I've ever used) then
> another pop-up box comes up saying, "The password is incorrect. Try again."

By default, Windows 98 and above encrypts its passwords before sending
them over the wire.  You have two options in this case:

1) Set up your server to receive encrypted passwords.  This means
   setting the "encrypt passwords = yes" option on the samba config
   file, and then creating a "smbpasswd" file using the "smbpasswd"
   utility on your server.  Note that these passwords are not
   necessarily kept in sync with the regular UNIX account passwords.

2) Set your windows boxes to NOT use encryption.  This requires a
   little registry hacking -- see the SAMBA HOWTO for complete
   information.  For Windows 98, use 'regedit' and create a new
   registry key under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP

   With the name 'EnablePlainTextPassword' and a DWORD value of '0x01'

Step one is good if you want the encryption and don't feel like
changing your Windows machines, but it doesn't work with PAM, as the
smbpasswd file must be maintained separately.

Step two is good if you don't care about the encryption and don't want
to have to mess with the server side too much to make things work.
Your call.

Jason

--
Jason Healy