Re: [Question] Harddisk Error!!! - damage

On Sunday 14 April 2002 11:00 pm, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> > can you indicate some point of reference to justify that claim? my system
> > runs e2fsck by default after every 20 bootups, and i've yet to notice any
> > damage due to that.
>
> sorry for the confusing comment...
>
> on your box... try to run "e2fsck /dev/hda1"   if your / is on /dev/hda1
>
> normal bootups is configured to do the right thing in the
> right sequence so is NOT an problem .... like a user running
> e2fsck on a mounted root partition .,,, a very bad idea...
>
> but if you umount it first.. than its cool
> 	mount -n -o ro /dev/hda1  - take / offline first
> 	e2fsck /dev/hda1
> 	mount /dev/hda1  -- put it back online
>
> 	and always a good idea to look at any warnings/error messages
> 	spewed out by the system...

so that e2fsck on an unmounted partition is okay? but to check a mounted
partition it should be efsck? or what?

sorry, i haven't been following the thread. i'm not sure if it matters but
since using the 2.4.17 kernel on my machine , crashes nessecitating the check
haven't happened, at all.

ben