IDE-SCSI, CD-RW, ZIP drive weirdness

I have an ATAPI CD-RW installed as the second slave (/dev/hdd).

According to the documentation I've read, to use the CD-RW in Linux, I have to use IDE-SCSI (kernel) and have 'hdd=scsi' in the boot parameters.

I've done this, and I have no problems using the drive, but I have discovered somthing... odd.

I have an ATAPI ZIP-100 on /dev/hdb (first slave). I am not telling the kernel to use IDE-SCSI for it (boot parameters), yet IDE-SCSI takes control of the ZIP-100.

And, the ZIP-100 works great under the IDE-SCSI driver. (Since I run DevFS, it's interesting to note that this gets rid of any problems I've had and read about when using the ZIP-100 and DevFs).

My only beef is that I don't believe I configured Linux to do this (although it was a pleasent surprise), and am wondering if this is a bug of some kind to be reported. (Or, if this is a little unknown workaround for ZIP drives & DevFS).