My woody machine has gnome-gv stuck in it's craw, and it's chocking to death

Yeseterday I made the mistake of copying over /etc/apt/sources.list from a working machine to
another working machine. But I forgot to copu /etc/apt/preferences :-( The I turned dselect
loose. Big mistake.

Lot' s of stuff is broken gnome, gdm, and who knows what else.

A friendly listmsmber sugested I down grade to woody on that machien. Sonds like a gret idae,
but...

Here is the sugested way of doing this.

1. Remove unstanle lines fro /etc/apt/sources.list. (done).

2. Add the following as the total contents of /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001
 (done).

3. run apt-get update. (done)

4. run apt-get dist-unpgrade (Here is where the fun begins :-(

Script started on Sun Apr 14 10:56:41 2002
smokey:/etc/apt# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... 0%Reading Package Lists... 100%Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED
  aalib1 abiword-common abiword-doc abiword-gnome abiword-gtk abiword-plugins amp apache
  apache-common apt-howto-en aptitude ash aspell aspell-doc aspell-en atlas2-3dnow bash bash-doc
  bsdgames calc cddb cdrecord-dev cpio cpp-3.0 crafty cvs ddd ddd-doc debconf debconf-utils
  debhelper defoma discover doc-linux-text eboard enscript fakeroot fortune-mod fortunes
  fortunes-bofh-excuses fortunes-mario fortunes-min fortunes-off gcc-3.0 gcc-3.0-base gdb gettext
  gettext-base gettext-el gimp1.2 gimp1.2-perl glade-common glade-doc gnome-control-center
  gnome-core gnome-help-data gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-terminal gnumeric-doc gpm grip
  gtkrecover imagemagick initrd-tools kaffe kfract kiconedit kpaint kruler ksnapshot kview
  lbxproxy less lg-base lha libart-dev libasound2 libaspell10 libcapplet0 libcapplet1 libdiscover1
  libdps1 libeel-data libeel0 libgcc1 libgd2 libgimp1.2 libgnomeprint-bin libgnomeprint-data
  libgnomeprint15 libgnorba-dev libgpmg1 libgtkxmhtml-dev libgtkxmhtml1 libldap2 libmagick++5
  libmagick5 libmd5-perl libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libncursesw5 libncursesw5-dbg
  libncursesw5-dev libnspr4 libnss3 libpanel-applet0 librpm4 libsane libscrollkeeper0 libsensors1
  libsigc++0 libstdc++3 libstorable-perl libsword1 libterm-readkey-perl libxaw6 libxaw7 libxml2
  libzvt2 mailx manpages manpages-dev mindi mkisofs modconf mpg123 mutt mutt-utf8 nano
  ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term nethack nethack-common nethack-x11 nighthawk ntop patch
  pdl perlmagick postgresql-doc powertweak-extra powertweak-gtk powertweakd procps proxymngr
  psfontmgr python python2.1 python2.2 r-base realpath reportbug rpm screen scrollkeeper sox
  stl-manual systune telnet telnetd tipa twm weblint webmin-apache xaw3dg xbase-clients xlibmesa3
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 169 downgraded, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/109MB of archives. After unpacking 9033kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package gnome-gv.
(Reading database ... 101572 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gnome-gv 1.1.93-3 (using .../gnome-gv_1.1.93-3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gnome-gv ...
scrollkeeper-update: /usr/local/share/omf: No such file or directory
Registering /usr/share/omf/ggv/ggv-it.omf.dpkg-tmp
scrollkeeper-update: relocation error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: pthread_once
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
scrollkeeper-update: /usr/local/share/omf: No such file or directory
Registering /usr/share/omf/ggv/ggv-it.omf.dpkg-tmp
scrollkeeper-update: relocation error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: pthread_once
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-gv_1.1.93-3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
scrollkeeper-update: /usr/local/share/omf: No such file or directory
Registering /usr/share/omf/ggv/ggv-C.omf
scrollkeeper-update: relocation error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: pthread_once
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
dpkg - warning: downgrading bash from 2.05a-11 to 2.05a-9.
Preparing to replace bash 2.05a-11 (using .../archives/bash_2.05a-9_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement bash ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-gv_1.1.93-3_i386.deb
smokey:/etc/apt#
Script done on Sun Apr 14 10:57:01 2002

So it appears the gnom-gv is stuck in my machines craw, and it can't breathe!

How can I straighten out this mess?

I tried:

dpkg -P --force-remove-reinstreq scrollkeeper

but it did not help :-(

Could some kind soul help me get my nicely working machine back?

BTW I have a nice amanda backup from the night before I did this stupid thing. Is that any
help? Can I for instance resore teh"installed package" inof, and force the machine to set
itself abck to that state somehow?

I'v got _a lot_ of customization in this machien & I really don't want to have to reisntall
from scracth because I made one stupid mistake :-(

Thanks for any help.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin