Re: equating groups

begin  David Wright quotation:

> Is there some way to make all members of one group members of another?

If ALL members of one group are going to be members of another, then why
have two groups?

Change all the files owned by one group to be owned by the other.

> very scalable. So what I would like to do is set, in a revokable
> fashion, floppy=users.

find /dev -group floppy -exec chown :users {} \;

Revocation is more difficult, of course.

If you really intend to revoke it, you could:

 - Add a -print to the above, and route the output to a file, so you can
   use it later as a list of what to change back.  (The -print is optional
   with GNU find, but you should use it anyway, because it's not optional
   with some other UNIXes, and thus it's a good habit.)

 - Change only the specific device you want.

 - Bang out a quick sed command to update /etc/group, and modify
   adduser.local to always add new users to floppy.

 - Bang out a quick shell script to process everybody in /home through
   usermod -G floppy, and modify adduser.local.  Warning: usermod -G
   will remove you from other groups, so this idea is not necessarily a
   good one for you.

I doubt you'll be revoking it, though.  Are you really likely to later
have one user you don't want using the floppy?

--
Shawn McMahon                    | McMahon's Laws of Linux support:
http://www.eiv.com               | 1) There's more than one way to do it