Re: Fonts on an LCD Flat Panel

* Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) spake thusly:
> Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > I assume you're talking about X and Gnome? Unless someone
> > comes up with a better advice, ditch Gnome and install KDE.
> > On my LCD I get ugly fonts in gtk applications only, KDE ones
> > are OK (though font quality on LCDs is noticeably lower than
> > on CRTs, regardless).
>
> Huh?
>
> You both must have something massively misconfigured.  I have
> perfectly fine fonts on an LCD running Gnome.
>
> For starters, all you need to do is install the msttcorefonts package,
> configure Gnome (and Emacs, and any other programs you use) to use
> those fonts, and make sure you're running at the native resolution of
> the LCD.  Of course, the devil is in the details, but it's perfectly
> doable.

Yeah, of course. In KDE, fonts are configured via Kontrol center.
In Gnome/Sawfish, I spent about 5 minutes looking for a place to
configure fonts globally, and gave up.

My rule of thumb is if I can't figure it out in 5 minutes, I won't
be able to explain it in a short e-mail. Hence the advice to switch
to KDE.

Dima
--
... with the exception of January and February 1900, all Microsoft application
libraries counted dates the same way.