Re: problems with gnome

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 14:52, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I used redhat 7.2 with ximian gnome until this week that I have
> installed debian instead of redhat. I installed potato and then I
> upgraded to woody.
>
> 	To install ximian gnome I add
> deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main to the sources.list
> file and then I run "apt-get update; apt-get install task-ximian-gnome"
> (as I found in ximian website). The problem is that there is gnome
> software not running in my system.

Last time I looked ximian's web site was hopeless, and wrong. Their
debian archive is broken (No Packes or Packages.gz file) and all
indexing switched off just to make it truly annoying!

What I did (this was 6 months ago, so things may be different) was to
download all the packages from a mirror (which they don't list on their
site). I used mirror.aarnet.edu.au accessible from Australia, you might
have to find another.

Put them in a directory and used dpkg-scanpackages to create my own
Packages file. Then added this to my sources.list and then apt-getted
it. See man dpkg-scanpackages for more info.

IMHO, I'd skip the ximian stuff, because frankly its badly done. Don't
expect the sweet dependency structures of official debian packages.
Everything depends on everything else. Its an all-or-nothing road, some
of the builds are buggy and crash, the desktop setup is poorly built
(like theme helpers taking 100% CPU, errors one the gnome control center
etc). Nautilus is aweful, and keeps wanting to make itself the desktop.
Red carpet is a nightmare. Its built for rpm's to give them some
semblance of deb's and on debian its aweful. Like hacking deb style
functionality on top of debs, that already have that functionality.
sheesh.

I like woody's official packages a lot more, now they are becoming a lot
more stable. If you need more up to date stuff, look at using priority
pinning in your apt setup to bring sid packages forward.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington