Re: problems with gnome

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:52:43AM +0200, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I used redhat 7.2 with ximian gnome until this week that I have
> installed debian instead of redhat. I installed potato and then I
> upgraded to woody.
              ^^^^^

> 	To install ximian gnome I add
> deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main to the sources.list
                                          ^^^^^^

> file and then I run "apt-get update; apt-get install task-ximian-gnome"
> (as I found in ximian website). The problem is that there is gnome
> software not running in my system.
>
> 	gnome-terminal doesn't work, when I try to run it, I get:
> # gnome-terminal
> gnome-terminal: relocation error: gnome-terminal: undefined symbol:
> zvt_term_set_meta_use_high_bit
> #
>
> 	other program that doesn't work is red-carpet. When I run it I get a
> dialog error window with a button to make a bug report.
>
> 	Does anybody know where is the problem?

Clues above.  You need neither red-carpet nor Ximian's packages.  If
they don't provide Woody packages, then you certainly want to use
Debian's packages.  The problem is likely caused by mismatched packages
(libzvt and gnome-terminal).  I'd guess you're pulling one package from
Debian and the other from Ximian's *Potato* repository, and running into
the mismatched symbol.  Hard to say which package is at fault, but
there's obviously a depends/conflicts problem.

I gave up trying to use Ximian's packages a long time ago as there was
always a race between Ximian's and Debian's packages, causing no end
of excessive downloads, conflicts and irritation.  Ximian is best used
with "stable" only, if at all, AFAICT.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>