Re: User's perspective on upgrading to kernel 2.4?

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 18:18, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm happily running woody with kernel 2.2.20, and I'm thinking of
> upgrading to kernel 2.4.18.  Before I do this, though, I'd like to know
> more about this process -- it's been a long time since I upgraded across
> minor version numbers.
>
> First question: what are the major differences between 2.2 and 2.4 from
> a *user's* perspective?  I know about the improved scheduler and
> wake-one and USB support and things like that, but that's not what I'm
> asking.  For now, I'm interested primarily in what differences I will
> see as I use my system; I'll worry about the system-level programming
> interfaces later.
>
> Second question: is it possible to have a 2.2 kernel and a 2.4 kernel
> installed on the same system and switch between the two by means of
> LILO?  It's a little unclear, but I get the impression that the /dev
> hierarchy, in particular, is very different between the two, which
> suggests that switching back and forth is not very easy.
>
> Any and all comments welcome,
>
> Richard

Two programs that from a user perspective cause workarounds are
xcdroast/cdrecord/mkisofs & vmware. Each one is compiled for one kernel
version. Switching causes them to not work until recompiled or new
modules generated (vmware) If you are using Woody the 2.4 series works
well, smp support is better.
--
Greg C. Madden
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0