The Direction of Debian

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> I also used Debian for half a decade, and I don't like where it
> is going any more that you do. However,

I've been using Debian ever since my DOS disks died in 1997 and I was
left without operating system.  Other than having to beat myself in the
head with the manual to get it installed (which still rivals the ease of
installing most MS operating systems to date), I got it installed and
running fairly easily and began my transition to a real OS.  Later, I
was there when apt hit the mirrors, being the last time I installed a
new package by hand (as opposed to letting apt handle it).

Today, I see a wide variety of software, more packages daily (even when
you discount the usleless KDE and Gnome bloatware), and an ever growing
user base.  Other than the software in stable always being bloody
ancient, I don't see where Debian's got serious problems.

I'm just curious what exactly you don't like about Debian now and where
it's moving towards.

> 1. I have to babysit RedHat boxen at work, and trust me, RH is
> worse than Woody.

Hamm, and even bo, blew RH 5.2 out of the water.

> Dist-upgrade to woody works fine on a *minimal* potato system
> (i.e. install base system, edit apt sources, update pakage
> lists, upgrade apt, dpkg et al., run dist-upgrade). I never
> tried it on a fully-configured production box, but I wouldn't
> be surprised if that didn't work all that well.

Any time we had to upgrade a production box like that at the internship
I had in high school, we would usually do it Friday night, clean up on
Saturday, and tie down loose ends on Sunday if needed.  One of the other
interns made a joke about it:  Apt.  The kind of buzz you plan a weekend
around.

> Repeat after me: all software sucks.

To quote CmdrTaco, "But Debian sucks in all the right ways."

--
Baloo